Some people have asked me, “Why would you bother canning corn, it’s 97 cents at the store?” To those people I say … Uh, shut up. But seriously, anything home canned is worth it. I know my canned corn was freshly picked, immediately canned and contains only corn and water. Plus corn was on sale at the farm stand for 20 cents so I got the 20 ears for $4. And I’m a canning addict. I also like that you can put it in any size jar you like (well within reason, not a half gallon). I just eat a bit at a time, so can in half pints, but if you eat a ton of corn it could be nice to open up a whole quart at a time.


Canning corn is as easy as pie. Step one: husk the corn on the porch.


Next wash the corn and cut the it off the cob – now I was going to use this nice little $2.99 tool pictured here, but it didn’t work that well and I also saw after buying it that it has that weird cancer warning on it that only California labels things with. Yaaaaaaa. So I just used a knife. Try to cut not quite to the cob, and remove any bad spots.


Blanch the corn for 3 minutes. Although when I reread my presto manual I think maybe I was supposed to blanch it on the cob? Meh, I dunno, makes no difference.


Meanwhile boil a pot of water to use to pour over the corn. Wash the jars and heat them (just leave them full of hot water after you wash them). Then fill the jars with corn (spoon it out with a slotted spoon). Add boiling water to cover the corn leaving an inch head space.


Debubble, wipe the rims, apply the warm lids and tighten the bands finger tip tight. Add 3 quarts of hot water to the canner and place the corn jars in the canner.


Once all the jars are ready, close the lid and turn the heat on high. Vent the canner for 10 minutes before applying the weight. After the 10 minute vent period, place the weight on the vent. For a dial gauge canner like mine, bring to 11 pounds of pressure at sea level. Once at pressure process for 55 minutes for half pints or pints and 85 minutes for quarts. After the time is up, turn off the heat and allow the pressure to drop. After the pressure has dropped (and the safety do-hickey drops), remove the weight and wait 10 more minutes. Then remove the lid and the corns. ping ping ping ping!


12-24 hours later check the seals, remove the bands and wipe down the jars. Label and store. Nom nom nom!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s